Shorewood Shorewood Historical Society Shorewood Dome
  Historical Markers

National Registry of Historic Buildings

State of Wisconsin Historical Markers

Milwaukee County Historical Markers

Sauk Indian Trail Marker

Atwater Park Veterans' Memorial

National Registry of Historic Buildings

Thomas Bossert House, 2614 E. Menlo Blvd., Ernest Flagg stone masonry house
Benjamin Church House, Parkway Dr., Estabrook Park
Erwin Cords House, 1913 E. Olive St., Ernest Flagg stone masonry house
Seneca W. and Bertha Hatch House, 3821 N. Prospect Ave., Ernest Flagg stone masonry house
Henry A. Meyer House, 3559 N. Summit Ave., Ernest Flagg stone masonry house
George E. Morgan House, 4448 N. Maryland Ave., Ernest Flagg stone masonry house
Shorewood Village Hall, 3930 N. Murray Ave.

State of Wisconsin Markers in Shorewood

Shorewood Armory

Corner of Kenmore Place and Oakland Ave.

30 acre site of Wisconsin National Guard Light Horse Squadron from 1910-1930
Included offices, commanders’ house, a dormitory, gymnasium, large barn of 65 stables


Shorewood High School

1701 E. Capitol Drive

Planned and constructed in campus plan with separate buildings for the administration and the humanities, physical education, arts and science, the auditorium


Shorewood Village Hall

3930 N. Murray Ave.

Built in 1908 as a four room school in then East Milwaukee
In 1915 became the seat of government

Remodeled in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project
In 1985 remodeled again1998

National Register of Historical Places, 1984


Lower Oakland Ave. at Edgewood Ave

In 1872 Frederick A. Lueddemann opened Lueddemann’s-on-the-River in the Town of Milwaukee as a landscaped urban retreat, a large building with apartments, restaurant and billiard tables. In 1900 it was purchased and renamed “Coney Island” with a roller coaster and other amusement park facilities. But the loud music and garish lights with limited action by Town of Milwaukee led the village to incorporate as East Milwaukee in 1900. Ravenna Park, the last of series of parks closed in 1916. The land was subdivided and the structures removed. Only Hubbard Park remains.


The Appomattox

Sunken ship in Lake Michigan off Atwater Beach

Milwaukee County Landmarks in Shorewood

1976 – Kilbourn House in Estabrook Park, Shorewood

1977 – Annason Apartments, 2121 E. Capitol Drive, Shorewood

1979 – Eric Passman House, 3510 N. lake Drive, Shorewood

1982 – Shorewood High School Campus, 1701 E. Capitol Dr., Shorewood

1990 – Lindemann/Sojan House, 3937 N. Lake Dr., Shorewood

1992 – St. Robert’s Catholic Church, 2214 E. Capitol Dr., Shorewood

2000 – Hubbard Park, Shorewood

2008 - Shorewood Department of Public Works Adminstration Building

Sauk Indian Trail Marker

Marker for the old north/south trail used by the Sauk Indians as they moved through Shorewood. Located in Hubbard Park in front of the Shorewood River Club. Placed by the Juneau Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution November 25, 1939. Rededicated July 4, 2000 by the Milwaukee Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Atwater Park Veterans' Memorial

A 31’ long cast bronze plaque “Honoring Shorewood Veterans Who Served in War and Peace” is the centerpiece of Atwater Park’s Lake Michigan overlook.

Dedicated on May 28, 2000, the plaque was a project of the Shorewood Centennial Committee during the celebration of the Village’s 100th birthday.

It had taken 57 years to establish a permanent memorial to veterans in Shorewood.  In 1943, a temporary memorial, on the High School grounds, listed 1200 names of those serving in World War II.  Within four years the honor roll had doubled and, with no agreement on a permanent memorial, the honor roll was veiled and taken down.

Over the years, various committees considered sites for a permanent location, rejected proposed designs and lacked funding to pursue the project.

With renewed interest in establishing a permanent veterans’ memorial in 2000, funding was obtained from the Shorewood Men’s Club, the North Shore American Legion Post #331 and the Shorewood Foundation (formerly SCIF).

Wisconsin Historical Society
Milwaukee County  Historical Society
border   border   border